My Photo
Name:
Location: Bi-coastal, United States

Working in the trenches of the fashion industry for years.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Giorgio's Angel


My first job in New York City, after I got out of Haute Couture draping school in Paris was as the assistant designer for Giorgio di Sant'angelo. Giorgio's name has now become synonymous with trousers and blazers made in Bulgaria or some former Eastern bloc country for Chadwick's of Boston. But back in the day, he was one of the most exciting designers of his time, and right up there with Halston for glamour and innovative ideas.
It was Christmas, and we all got small packages from Giorgio with a hand drawn card included. This little angel was detachable, so I threaded a ribbon thru his loop and have hung it on the tree at Christmas ever since. He is holding a feather quill in his hand.
I have been meditating recently on my teachers and mentors, those I learned my craft from. Giorgio is right up there near the top of the pantheon. They know that you will spend the rest of your life drinking at the well of inspiration. That's why that kind of job never pays, and there are 10 people outside the door waiting for your job.
Read about a great article all about Giorgio. I wish I had access to the late 1960's Vogue fashion spread he did with Veruschka in the desert. Mind boggling!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary Beth said...

Thaks for the great links, Georgene. You must have so thrilled to have worked for him.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Lisette said...

Great article. I remember seeing his stuff when I was a kid (the good stuff) and then when I was starting to get my first real jobs the bad stuff. I could never figure out what one had to do with the other at the time.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home