My Photo
Name:
Location: Bi-coastal, United States

Working in the trenches of the fashion industry for years.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Dress A Day hits it out of the Ballpark

The blog A Dress a Day's post for Oct 20th You don't have to be Pretty is so right on it hurts.

Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked "female".

Amen sister! I don't know how to link to the post itself, but it's worth digging a bit to find it in the archives. In this world where young women are assaulted in their high school classrooms and no one calls it a hate crime, this post needs to be read and disseminated.

Is it just because I have a teenage daughter? No, but possibly because I was once a teenager, and once considered beautiful. Now I am aging, and not quite so beautiful. I recognize that cloak of invisibility that the older women I knew spoke about.

5 Comments:

Blogger Phyllis said...

So true Georgene. Last week I was watching "America's Next Top Model" with my daughters, and Twiggy (one of my fashion idols) said about one girl, "She's very beautiful, but she doesn't have what it takes to be a model." Beauty is a commodity, like so many other things in the modern world.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Georgene, I don't know what you are talking about. Not only are you beautiful, but you are smart, interesting, witty and talented.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

Great post!
Here's the direct link, G http://www.dressaday.com/2006/10/you-dont-have-to-be-pretty.html

5:05 PM  
Blogger Lisette said...

Georgene, if you've given up any of your beauty, you have moved beyond the merely beautiful to fabulousness!

I truly believe we are keepers of some mystical art and I'm not talking about sewing. I know that everyday, even the bad ones, I feel a growing power and strength. Now I need to find a way to tranfer that to my daughter without the torture that brought it out in me.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

It was a great post, and I've seen it referenced in various places on different blogs. Erin got it right with that one.
Meanwhile, I think your beauty shines. The cliche is as old as our ancient great grandmothers, but beauty really does start from within.

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home