My Photo
Name:
Location: Bi-coastal, United States

Working in the trenches of the fashion industry for years.

Friday, May 26, 2006

Moi



Just what the world needs - another blog! This one will be a place for ruminations on the nature of fashion and the garment business. As a member of the Sewing Divas, I can use this blog for things that come under the title "Other", more arcane stuff. I love how Mary Beth is blogging from the Stitchery, Gigi from her embroidery atelier, Phyllis and Ann are up in Massachusetts working on very different angles - Phyllis is the queen of embellishment and heirloom sewing. Els, our European Diva Extraordinaire has more talent in her left pinky than most of us will see in a lifetime, and is able to work in both tailleur and flou.

In a French maison de couture, the workrooms are divided between tailleur - the tailored garments (think Yves St. Laurent's "le smoking" tuxedos for women), and flou - the fluid, diaphanous draped creations in say, silk chiffon (think Chanel evening gowns). Workers who are strong in one type of garment ususally can't do the other type, so Els is doubly amazing, in that she is able to do both styles of draping, patternmaking, and sewing.



Come in to the Studio, and join me in my adventures in MondoMode.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gigi said...

I love this photo of your studio - Into The Looking Glass.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Gorgeous Things said...

I love the title! And flou - mmmmm, whenever I think of flou I think of Valentino and Ungaro evening gowns in lace and chiffon. What a pleasant way to end a Saturday evening!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

Welcome to Blogger-sphere, Georgene. Wait 'til Els sees this, hehehehehe, she will protest! But we all know it's true :) I'll add you to the growing links line.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

What the world really needs is another GOOD blog - which is what we have here!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Els said...

Georgene, great picture of your studio, congrats on starting your own mondomode blog, love the name.
Thanks for the compliments but you give me way too much credit I am just trying to be a good custom clothier and pattern maker but still learning my way to perfection. I am proud to be a part of the Sewing Divas and we all have our specialities which makes this group a great one.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home