My Photo
Name:
Location: Bi-coastal, United States

Working in the trenches of the fashion industry for years.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Never a Dull Moment

I have been busier than the proverbial one-legged dog on an ice floe, and now tired as a dog too.

I finished all but the last dress of the 8 new styles that I had to produce in 11 days – I did all the patterns and got them cut and sewn, but the last dress was one of those that was too last minute and too hard to explain, so I sewed most of it myself. (Fortunately the head honcho was agreeable to sending it out to a sample service in LA to do the finishing bits. I would call it ‘the dress that whupped me’) I was up until 2 am Wednesday nite before leaving for LA on Thursday on the 8:40 am flight - then got up at 5:45 am.

I threw a few things in a bag and did manage to make my flight with all of the dresses in a large ‘coffin’ – (hard sided sample case on wheels) - flew back Friday evening and left at 10 pm headed to the coast with DD. We made it thru the driving rain and fog over the coastal mountains and arrived at our little bungalow/ motel room in Capitola at midnight. It was great to wake up there on Saturday morning instead of facing the drive.

I went down for a training session in PhotoShop on Saturday, while DD wandered around Capitola village doing some window shopping until the category 3 style storm broke. She managed to make it back across the bridge to the room, and was holed up there watching TV when I got back in the early evening. We had an uneventful dinner at the closest restaurant across the bridge ( a sort of Venetian Bridge of Sighs affair separating the wharf area form the village) and woke to the pouring rain again Sunday morning. After marching once again across the bridge to go get breakfast (too bad I didn’t have time to pack any food items, as the kitchenette was very cute and useful) we came out of the café to find the sun shining merrily once again.

So now I am back, the studio is sorta cleaned and I am getting ready for the next tidal wave of work. I have a helper 10-15 hours this week (yay!) - a design school student from SF who can do a few things under my direction. Good for me, and good for her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home