My Photo
Name:
Location: Bi-coastal, United States

Working in the trenches of the fashion industry for years.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Blast from the past



I did a collection for Paradise Clothing Company in Honolulu, way back when. Here's one of the strapless gowns with sleeves I did. It's made from bathing suit nylon/lycra and appliqued with dyed-to-match Glissenet down one side, with Glissenet sleeves. All of the the gowns had built in bodysuits, so you didn't have to wear anything underneath, and keep a smooth line.

The artwork was developed in my studio, looking out at the tropical plants in the yard. I got inspired by the Art Deco brickwork in Waikiki. Most of those old one and two story buildings in the "Jungle" as that part of town was known, are gone now. I wish I had photographed those references. I keep looking for tropical architectural photos, in vain, searching for that style of brick. If I had a name for it, searching would be easier.

My mom transferred the flower silhouettes to oaktag and cut stencils with her handy Exacto knife. I still have all of those stencils. I have thought of using them for devore velvet designs. Someday, in my copious free time!

4 Comments:

Blogger Els said...

Georgene, thanks for sharing that gorgeous amazing dress you made .
I hope you can find some time to use the templates again.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Phyllis said...

You know, 1970's body conscious fashion really had a special look to them. Charles Kleibacker gowns from the 70's have this same quality, and I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly. It's wonderful though!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Summerset said...

Wow! I like the concept of the body suit underneath, how clever. I think the devore would be a great way to use those stencils if and when you find the time!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Vic said...

Lovely dress. I would wear it today!

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home